Panettone Bread and Butter Pudding
This hearty pudding is delicious on a winters day served warm with ice cream, custard or cream!
125 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
750 g plain panettone (or bread)
100 g raisins
2 tsp vanilla extract
300 ml double cream
300 ml whole milk
5 large eggs
100 g golden caster sugar
60 g apricot jam
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease your tin (mine is 20cm x 20cm)
2. Slice the edges of the panettone off in strips and use them to line the base and sides of your tin.
3. Put the vanilla extract, cream, milk, and butter in a pot on a medium heat and simmer until the butter has melted.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and golden caster sugar until smooth.
5. Whisking constantly, add the hot cream/butter mixture to the bowl until combined to make your custard.
6. Pour one-third of the custard into the base of the tart and leave to soak in for a couple of minutes.
7. Tear up all the remaining panettone into chunks, soak them in the bowl of custard for a minute or two, then layer up in the shell you’ve created. Put in some panettone chunks, a few raisins and a few dollops of apricot jam in each layer. It will look like a crazy mess but at the end it will be a delicious crazy mess!
8. Pour any leftover custard over the top of your creation.
9. Bake for around 25 minutes, or until set. Let the pudding to rest for 10 minutes before serving with ice cream, cream or custard!