These cinnamon buns are super tasty and well worth the effort of making. Actually they are so tasty I ate all of the ones I baked in a day! The recipe below makes about 20. I tend to half the recipe as I have no self control!
For the buns:
2 cups of milk
1 packet of yeast (10g)
3 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
110g butter, softened
2 tbsp cinnamon
For the glaze:
1. Melt the butter in a pot and then add the milk and mix. take off the heat add the yeast and stir.
2. In a mixing bowl add the sugar, salt, cardamon and the flour (save a little for dusting later) then pour in the milk/butter mixture.
3. If using a mixer use the dough hook and mix until all the ingredients are combined or if using your hands mix roughly in the bowl first then tip out onto a clean surface and knead into a smooth dough. If the mixture is still sticky add a little more flour.
4. Place the dough in a bowl and cover with a tea towel and let it rise until doubled in size (around 50 mins)
5. Make the filling by mixing the soft butter, sugar and cinnamon until it is all incorporated and resembles a paste.
6. Split the dough in two and roll the dough out into a rectangle roughly 25cm x 50cm.
7. Spread the filling onto the dough until it is all covered, remember to save half for the other ball of dough.
8. From the long side of the rectangle cut the dough into 2cm strips, roll the dough into a tube and place in cupcake holders, if you don’t have cupcake holders just use a tray and leave a bit of space between then (they will join together in the oven but you can pull them apart easily).
9. Repeat with second ball of dough.
10. Let the buns prove again by leaving them on the side uncovered for 25mins.
11. Heat your oven to 250 degrees C.
12. Whisk an egg and brush over the buns just before you put them in the oven then bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown.